Friday, February 26, 2016

Quickies


#20 Island Girl


Practice, practice, practice. Oh how I hated those words when I was eight and taking piano lessons.  I recently read a blog about the importance of practicing our drawing and painting skills.  The
writer compared drawing practice to exercise for muscle tone and strength.  I will try to make sketching a part of my daily routine. My habit is to spend a lot of time on a piece rather than doing a quick sketch. The 29 Faces Challenge is perfect to encourage some quick sketches of faces.

For these faces, I referred to photos from magazines and Google images (these are only practice drawings and are for commercial use). I preferred using photos with strong shadows or dramatic light and dark  areas using the shadows to create the features.  My materials were an Eberhard/Faber Ebony Black pencil and a pencil eraser on white copy paper.   The photos of my drawings make it look like I used more than one kind of paper, but no.  It's just what happens when I photograph the white paper.  It must be the quality of light.  



#21 Pout
#22 Guy With a Side Eye


#23 and #24  Girl and Cat

 I did spend more time and shading effort on this drawing. The girl is supposed to be about five years old but I just could not make her look that young.  She looks more like a teenager.  So I tried again without the cat. 

#24 Youth
 

#25 Age














 
She is still not as child like as I would like but it is a little better. 

29 Faces in February 
Paint Party Friday 
Show Your Face 
Express Your Creativity 

17 comments:

  1. These are really great Fran. I love their expressions. Very nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these are so well done. I especially like the last one - so much character captured in that face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree, so does look young and you've done a great job :D

    Yes, practise, practise, practise. It does work. I look back on work I did years ago and cringe. We can only get better! :D

    And it looks like you are well on your way. These drawings look fabulous.

    Happy PPF!

    Best wishes,
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely faces here, and I like the girls face and the age face id stunningly good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really expressive faces. All so different and well done.
    Happy weekend ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are all marvelous drawings Fran! Love the sweet kitty face:) Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really beautiful faces! It's like they all have a story to tell. really beautiful! :) Happy PPF and have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fran these are fabulous. Each one so different and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow these are great faces so full of character!! Love how you did the girl twice...she does look younger in the second one!! I remember that practice makes perfect quote when I was eight too....also taking piano!! It's paid off on occasion! But I am an intuitive artist so I work a little different... I should sketch more though...

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Fran! What fantastic sketches! Happy PPF :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These sketches are wonderful! Each face has personality and life! Thanks for practicing and sharing them! I've just joined Paint Party Friday and hope to meet more artists along the way!! Julene from Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are wonderful faces! I favor Age, so mysterious and compelling.
    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these faces--but I especially love Island Girl. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. But, yet, where is our SOUL going after we leave our mortal body (our physical bodies decompose)? Find-out where we went...

    As a writer of the sassy, savvy, insane yooFEMisms we A-L-L go through in this finite existence, I as well as you gotta lotta angst, too, and the synonymous metaphors which shall creeep stealthily across thy brain like the vivid, brazen dawn are the cohesion which brings U.S. together, girl.

    So, see if you cannot subliminally 'read-between-the-lines' or VERBUM SAT SAPIENTI (Latin: words to the wise): here's summore symbiotically-explosive-coolness done in sardonic satires when we passed-away:

    Here's what the prolific, exquisite GODy sed: 'the more you shall honor Me, the more I shall bless you' -the Infant Jesus of Prague.

    Go git'm, girl. You're incredible.
    See you Upstairs...
    thesuperseedoftime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. But, yet, where is our SOUL going after we leave our mortal body (our physical bodies decompose)? Find-out where we went...

    As a writer of the sassy, savvy, insane yooFEMisms we A-L-L go through in this finite existence, I as well as you gotta lotta angst, too, and the synonymous metaphors which shall creeep stealthily across thy brain like the vivid, brazen dawn are the cohesion which brings U.S. together, girl.

    So, see if you cannot subliminally 'read-between-the-lines' or VERBUM SAT SAPIENTI (Latin: words to the wise): here's summore symbiotically-explosive-coolness done in sardonic satires when we passed-away:

    Here's what the prolific, exquisite GODy sed: 'the more you shall honor Me, the more I shall bless you' -the Infant Jesus of Prague.

    Go git'm, girl. You're incredible.
    See you Upstairs...
    thesuperseedoftime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

DRINK UP

April    Snooping around and found this  wonderful blog Altered Book Lovers and it's drinks challenge.   The little file cabi...