Texas and the Paint Party

Remember the Alamo!

 

Last week end Hubby and I went to the annual reenactment of the Battle of San Jacinto.  Every April Texas history buffs, horsemen and reenactors gather at the San Jacinto monument located near the Houston Ship Channel where the actual site of the battle that ended the Texas battle for freedom from Mexico took place on April 21, 1836.  Cannons boomed, horses galloped and grown men dressed in frontier gear fired pop guns.  

 It was an interesting day with square dancers, Native American dancers and lots of banjo music and at the end of the day, a cool margarita and some enchiladas.  Perfect.

Here is what is on my desk this week. What Is On Your Workdesk Wednesday and in my art studio I had a helper, or at least a watcher. See her there peeking over the edge of the table?  She does not let me pet her very much but she loves to watch and follows me throughout the house.


 
 On my table you can see  a curious object decorated with artistic swirls. I found this at a resale shop.  It is a beatifully worked leather folder decorated with colored stones, a brass snake and a leather strap to tie it up.  Inside are pages of really nice buff colored paper that feels almost hand made.  I have no idea what I will do with it.  It is just too nice to scribble in but I simply could not resist it.  Any suggestions?

Here are my contributions to Paint Party Friday http://paintpartyfriday.blogspot.com/2016/04/paint-party-friday-week-8-year-6-check.html    Ya'll come on over and check us out.



I am embarking on a project, 100 Day Project. This is a project I read about on The Great Discontent - 100 Days Project  Using the alphabet as inspiration and beginning of course with A, I plan to make 26 small drawings or paintings based on each letter of the alphabet. This is my own personal challenge, I did not officially enter the 100 Days Project. I did cheat somewhat for the letter "C".  My painting for that day was ...disappointingLooking through my archives I found the "catfish" which fits the theme nicely.  So I did follow my rules of a drawing a day.  We will see what happens with the other 74 drawings...

I am also working on a larger piece using graphite pencil and colored  pencils. 


 
A burro standing at the edge of the Grand Canyon.  I have not decided on a name.   Does anyone have any ideas?

Visit my page at A Knack For Art and please "like" my page.  I almost have 100 likes. 

 


 

Comments

  1. I love going to those reenactment events :) We used to go all the time but haven't done it in years. We even participated in a couple where we dressed up an all. Fun but very hot as they were in the summer. Love the art this week. Your alphabet cards are fantastic and I love the WIP of the burro. Have a grand week and perhaps we'll both catch up with Colour me Positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ReplyDelete
      FranApril 30, 2016 at 2:06 PM

      Thanks Carol and yes, it was very hot that day although it should bu just spring. Sun is always hot. We will keep trying won't we

      Delete
  2. Great little paintings! What medium are you using? Looks like some pencil in there? x Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Julie. The alligator is graphite pencil and watercolor, the donkey is colored pencil and graphite pencil.

      Delete
  3. Love your abc's so far!! Very nicely done even if you didn't like C... can't wait to see more! And the new burro looks stunning so far!! Happy ppf! Can't wait to see the other 74.. I feel inspired!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see her and she looks a lot like me! Nice art. I like the Catfish. Surprised?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning is exactly the word that came to my mind about the Burro. Loved seeing your ABC project! So much fun to have a "watcher" in your studio. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! We love all your artwork, but the fishy in particular :D Pawkisses for a Happy first of May :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lobe your ABC project. My favorite is the bumblebee! For that folder that you bought ... I would suggest using it as an art journal! No matter what size or make, you can always turn fun stuff like that into an art journal!!
    Wishing you a lovely Sunday
    Hugs,
    MiSchra ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MiSchra A journal is a vey good idea.

      Delete
  8. Wow- that battle reenactment looks like fun. I once went to a Civil War camp reenactment which was a lot smaller but still interesting. And that is a great leather folder. Are you going to use it to make a journal? Can't wait to see some more of your creations. I love your burro. Bucky might be a good name? Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika. Those are really good suggestions

      Delete
  9. Hi Fran, It is very nice to meet you. Thanks so much for joining our Sunday Selfies blog hop. Hope you'll come back often. It sounds like quite a big project you will be undertaking. Good luck. Love the catfish, of course. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo and our mom, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting day out,Good luck with your project.we love your Snooperviser,xx Speedy and Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Had to think about Snooperfiser for a moment. Thanks for visiting

      Delete
  11. Dear Fran beautiful work!
    Much love!
    Lina.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your workdesk is so clean!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful artwork, love the aligator! Love your workdesk space too and the colored bottles on the windowledge. AW, sweet kitty, so adorable!
    Lovely visiting your creative world!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  14. The alphabet art is wonderful! I love the nameless Burro, so cute. I like alliteration so I'd go with Brad or Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fran, your art work is stunning. I love your alphaet set - beautifully drawn and the colours are gorgeous! My hubby gave me a small leather book filled with blank hand-made paper pages several years ago and I am using it as a small art journal - it's on my blog. I thought at first that it was too nice to use but then persuaded myself that was silly and I should just use it!! I am enjoying filling it with art work.

    Thank you for your lovely (and very succinct!!) comment - yes, it was yummy all right! We had a lovely tea party.

    Sorry to be so long responding but after my extremely busy week I've been quite exhausted over the weekend and have needed to rest and recover, and am only now catching up.

    Happy belated WOYWW,
    Shoshi #50

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts